Friday, November 8, 2013

A Couple of Rish Outfield Stories To Plug

Rish here.

I have been encouraged, for more 'n a year now, to share some of my stories on Smashwords, which is a website like Amazon, but dedicated solely to books and stories.  As you know, it's hard for me to find the backbone to put my writing up to be judged, but I did manage to stick up a couple of my works there recently, and I guess I will now take a moment to plug a couple of them.

I thought it would be wise to put a few of my stories on there for free, especially if they had appeared before, like on my blog or a flash fiction site.  However, both Dean Wesley Smith and Heath Ledger's Joker suggest that if you do something well, you never do it for free.  As far as I know, only one of those two is considered insane.

TWO FREE STORIES

1.  "A Slight Delay"  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/371828
For an airline passenger, an unexpected wait on the tarmac takes a turn for the strange.
I wrote this as a gag on the message boards when folks were talking about things that are and aren't scary.  Much like my moth story, I tried to come up with a scenario (however bizarre) where a man in a bunny costume could be frightening.

2.  "The Awful Tale of the Minnesota Diarrhea Ghost"  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/368531
In this tiny tale, Grandpa sits down his two grandsons and tells them just enough about the Minnesota Diarrhea Ghost.
This really was a joke, written in a series of IMs to try and make Big Anklevich laugh.
It did not work.

TWO UNFREE STORIES

1.  "Office Visit."  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/362484
Genie and Sally are two young girls living in a small American town, not too long ago.  When a new dentist moves into town, people begin to behave strangely about him, causing the girls to become suspicious.  Nothing ominous could happen in their peaceful little home, could it?
This is a story I wrote a decade back, and very nearly got podcasted by a horror site in 2011.  It's pretty likely it will end up airing in Full Cast on the Dunesteef soon, but here's your chance to read it first.

2.  "Say Uncle."  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/376129
Uncle Cal is driving his two year old nephew around, when the boy begins speaking in full sentences. Somehow little Alex is the messenger of adult Alex, in an unpleasant future that, just maybe, can be averted.
I wrote this story earlier this year, with the express purpose of doing it on our show.  Due to a number of obstacles, that has not (yet) happened, but it may still work in text, right? 

Most of these stories can also be found on Amazon.com, though they (like Dean Wesley Joker) seem to have a problem with giving stories away for free.  I've also put a slightly rewritten version of "On Dusty Wings" up there, trying to fix the plotholes that seemed apparent when read aloud.  That's at this link: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/366914

Enjoy?

Rish Outfield, Story Peddler

No comments:

Post a Comment