So, it's a brand new year, with a cool, ominous number in it, and normal people* often set goals or make promises to start out new years.
So, what does 2013 hold for our audio magazine?
1. Well, hopefully, a couple more episodes than 2012 had. There were a few stretches of weeks in between shows, and that was sort of unavoidable when deadlines didn't get made. But Big got the idea of recording a couple of story readings in advance, to hold in reserve in case the scheduled episodes fell apart, as they are wont to do.
2. More stories by Big Anklevich and Rish Outfield. This is an extension of the first one. We've recorded two of our own stories recently, since those are just hanging around, and submissions have been closed for so long. We'll try to post those stories if there's a lull in the submitted story episodes.
3. More stories by Rish Outfield and Big Anklevich. Both of us are writers, and we really want to get our own work out there. We have a pretty public forum to do so, so there will be more stories we've written on the show. It also helps to have a deadline, and know we've got to produce something for an upcoming slot, so there will probably be a couple of new stories we've written just for the show.
4. More stories by Big and Rish. In addition, we've resolved to put out texts of our stories out on the internet that people can purchase, and hopefully, demand more of. Like I said, a lot of those stories are just sitting there, doing us little good. And if there's a chance that our fans--or total strangers--will read them and like them, well, that's great. And what little money they bring in is great too, and will hopefully boost our confidence.
5. Stories by Rick Kennett, Matthew Sanborn Smith, Ray Cluley, Sam Schreiber, Edward McKeown, and Mike Resnick. We're going to get the winners of the Broken Mirror Event out there, and finally close the door on those last 2011 submissions.
6. A live reading and episode. I guess I should put "live" in quotation marks. We recorded a story and follow-up at Abbie Hilton's hotel room in Las Vegas this week, with everybody huddled around a microphone (everybody being Bryan Lincoln, Renee Chambliss, L. Scribe Harris, Marshal Latham, Abbie, Big, and Rish), and while it WILL be edited, it will probably sound different than the episodes we usually record in separate, pristine recording environments. Like Big's kitchen.
7. Another contest? This one isn't set in stone, but I'd really like to open submissions again for some kind of Broken Mirror or Metallica-themed contest. I spoke to Big about it, and while he didn't soundly thrash me for bringing it up, I can't guarantee that it'll happen. But I'll try hard to think of a good idea for contests.
In addition, we'll be bringing you the usual That Gets My Goat episodes (two of which are already recorded), and a semi-amusing sketch or two.
I hope that the new year brings you lots of excitement and possibility, and that our lil podcast is a part of it. Thanks for continuing to listen and support us (and thanks for the donations; I'm probably going to buy another microphone with them).
Hugs and kisses,
Rish "Baby New Year" Outfield
*"What's normal?" "That's what everybody else is, and you are not."